Not everything that glitters is gold!!


My parents knew their gold: each other, their five children, and their faith. They tried to live uncluttered lives so that they could have time for what was most important.

They didn't busy themselves buying a bigger house, because that would mean working harder to pay the monthly mortgage, doing overtime work or taking a second job. Who would then go jogging with me? Who would read story for me?

They didn't burden themselves buying a expensive car because that would mean laboring and worrying about installment bills. Besides, walking to the shopping center every Saturday afternoon with me gave my dad his needed exercise, and made me feel so special.

One of the delights of my heart was seeing Dad and Mom in their bedroom at night. The lights were turned off, and I'd see the silhouette of my father seated on his old chair and mom standing behind him, gently massaging his shoulders. I'd hear them talk about what transpired during their day. Even as a child, I sensed their quiet pleasure at being together.

My question today: Could they have done this rich ritual each night and nourished their marriage if they had been busy paying for designer outfits for themselves or their kids, or if they had been worrying about monthly bills for new hi-tech appliances? I don't think so. And I've made a choice: I don't want that kind of life either.

And now I realize that the real gold in our life, is our family, a life long precious gem which we must remember and treasure like a given gift!

1 Comentário:

Peace said...

What a blessed family you have... :)