Kuala Lumpur Taxi Driver Scams


I was in KL a couple of weeks ago for my visa and to visit my sister who has just started working.And I had a taste of how "cut-throat" expensive a typical malaysian cab driver can be.
I'm aware of how cab drivers in KL are like but experiencing it at a time when I'm in a hurry or too tired to walk and finding another cab makes the experience much much worse! I was totally pissed off when I was really in a hurry to get to the Russian embassy in Jalan Ampang from Kota Raya. ( note : my journey on this cab1 starts at 11.55 am and I need to get to the embassy before 1 pm.)



Well,I didn't really know the exact location of the embassy so I put my trust into cab1 plus I was really in a hurry.By the time we reached Ampang,there was a heavy traffic.

So cab1 told me maybe I could just walked from there cause the embassy was just right in front( Cuma jalan 5 minit saja adik and I paid RM 7.00) .So I trusted him and I got down and walked straight. After 45 minutes, I didn't see a single embassy. Bagher!!Then only it came to my senses that I was cheated. I mean if he didn't know how to get there,he shouldn't have cheated in the first place.I paid RM7.00 for nothing.


I began to panic as I didn't know where I was . (Ampang is big okay). So I flaged another cab. (CAB2)

ME: Do you know how to get to the Russian embassy in Jalan Am
pang?aaa... That street got alot of embassy one .
CAB2: ya ya ya...come in

Finally, I felt so relieved. ( after a few minutes... )

CAB2:So you know how to go there right!
ME: I was like excuse me...

CAB2: Actually I got map one . Last week my flen borlow then never return.
ME: So you don't know where it is?
CAB2 : No no no... I know... just that my flen borlow my map........
...................................................................................
ME : Ok ok ok ok ... Just stop in front of the gas station.


And you know what ,I paid a freaking RM 6.20 to that fellow just to drive around Ampang and telling his grandmother stories and once again i didn't know where I was. So I flagged another cab. (CAB3) . Then I decided that I just wanted to go to Ampang Park Station and walked myself to the embassy. It took CAB3 forever to reach Ampang Park when I was already in Ampang. (okay, Ampang may be big but not thatttttt big k) I guessed he gave me a complete tour around Ampang. Oh wait... the best part has yet to come... The fare was RM11.30 .... Bagher!! So I paid him RM 15.00 in hoping for a change.

CAB3: Adik, tak de duit kecil lagi ke?
ME: Tak de... ( The next note that I have was RM50.00)
CAB3: Abang betul betul tak de. You customer pertama abang. Tak de duit kecil la dik..
ME: ya ya ya ya ya (I answered him in a very frustrated mood.I know it's very rude but I was really tired, hungry , dehydrated-coz I walked for a freaking 45 minutes and frustrated.)

And so I got myself out from the cab (I think I accidentally slammed his do
or) and started to ask around if anybody knew how to get there. Thank God the first person i asked directed me. It was so easy, it was just straight down from Ampang Park towards Jalan Ampang road. I walked for about 45 minutes and found the embassy. My watch showed 4.10 pm ... 4 hours just to get to Ampang whereas the journey from my hometown to KL takes about 4 hours too. And I spent RM28.20 for nothing...


My conclusion on KL taxi drivers are (of course there are exceptions ) :

1. They don't run on meters.
2. Even if they do,they like to bring you for a round tour. (its really frustrating if you're in a hurry.
3. Taxi drivers that talks a lot tend to cheat you. ( At least in my case CAB 123 like to talk)
4. Never trust when they say they don't have change.
5. They tend to cheat if you are not from KL.
6. They tend to cheat if you dont know the route even if you're from KL.

Hah... at last.... all my dissatisfaction is released....




12 comments:

Dih Haw said...

oh dear.. poor girl.. next time.. call me first for direction.. i can direct you.. i know u have been very independent back in russia but malaysia is treating you like a foreigner.. so next time when u want to go kl.. cell me for direction. i know almost every junction and every lorong.. 6 years there.. but i'm not there la.. penang..

oh ya.. about the church.. i'm not sure la.. hmm.. u comfortable with speaking in tongues? if u are.. u can try church of sitiawan, and... err.. no more idea... i think they have eng srevice.. i can ask around la.. wll let u know when i get info.

how long will you b back this time? call me? 012-5731377.

Anonymous said...

Base on my experience, everything in your conclusion are true. Sadly.

aManda玲慧 said...

those taxi drivers were so horrible!!

JayneAi said...

aiya..kesian..my sis is just staying two blocks away from the russian embassy...taxi nowadays like to cheat ppl wan..must becareful.If my sis got onto your taxi she will gaduh with that fella...got once she and the tazi driver came out from the car and started fighting in public..my sis challenge him to fight if he dare..and she ugut to report police..cuz the driver was being rude and not honest..ahhahaa...but dangerous la...hehe..u tc and try take LRT rather than taxi lo if ur travelling alone...:)GBU

Johnny Ong said...

on item 6 - it has turned out to be like this now. if u dunno the route to yr destination, be prepared to be screwed by the taxi fellas

miss critical said...

(dih haw) - okay.. i know i can count on you .. haha my old friend.. i'll be going back to russia at the of august.. speaking about church..thanks ya for asking around.anyway my sis is going to bring me to another church coz she's coming back this weekend.. ^_^

(cc) - yup but i do have met some good taxi drivers too ..

(amanda)- yalor... somebody ought to teach them some lesson

(jayneai) - wow... i really salute to your sister.. If it were to be me..sigh...(nvm its not just me alone .. I bet you are like me too).. hahaha

(johnny ong) - Thank God I've never met such taxi drivers before.

Anonymous said...

I also have a horrible experience going to KL, bec im new i took a taxi from Puduraya station to Petronas tower, the driver asked me to pay 96 ringgit, and he shouted and told me foul langusges, i dont understand why this driver is so rude to pasengers and tourists, they alaways ask for money , worst is when i refused to give the amount he grabbed my bag, i was so sad during that day and my vacation was spoiled, I hope it will not happen to other visitors...

Sirius B said...

Chances are kl taxi cheats are Indians. The type that will park their cabs outside and then get out of their cabs and chitchats. Look out for these, these are touts. They wont run on meter, and they wont start driving till you agree to the minimum fare of RM25 per one way no matter how short a distance it is.

Next time a taxi driver do that to you (refering to the RM96 man), get out of the cab, jot down the number, time you got in, time you got out. Even better if you snap a photo of him, or video record his actions (with sound). Get RM10 (it's more than enough from Pudu to KL)... and pay it to him.

If he insist/threathen you to pay, Tell him you will pay if you go Dang Wangi police station, settle at the police station and then threaten to. If you do go, go using different taxi (otherwise he could just bring you elsewhere to meet his gangs and kidnap you, you dont want that)

It also helps to SHOUT back at him and LOUDLY say PUDURAYA - KLCC = RM96? Just keep repeating that so that everyone around hears that. Then you tell him, I have PROOF (those that you gathered earlier), I will complain to MALAY MAIL HOTLINE (that's a tabloid) and I will write to L-P-K-P (they're so scared of this agency because if found, their license can be taken back).

First,

1. YOU GOTTA KNOW HOW TO GET TO THAT PLACE AND THE APPROXIMATE DISTANCE. IF TOURISTS, GET A MAP, ASK AROUND FIRST BEFORE GETTING INTO ANY CAB.

Places within KL are no more than RM10 on traffic-free days. With traffic RM10-RM15.

2. Flag a cab, if it's Indian driver, pretend you dont speak English. It's better not giving them a chance to cheat you. Better chance to get there using metered fare if they are Chinese or Malay (old chaps better). If the fler pretend to know where you're going and insist on sending you there anyway without understanding a single word you've uttered, CONFIRMED CHEAT.

3. DONT ask how much. You are giving them a chance to cheat you. Instead, ask them are you using normal meter? If you are scared of being cheated tell them what you want, like,

I need to go to Hotel A. Do you know the road? Can you get me there in 20 minutes? I have an emergency. I will pay you, RMx (x=how much you're willing to pay). Most decent taxi drivers will want to send you for RM10 or RM15. RM20 is too much.

Here's the rough estimate for places and their fares..

1. KLCC to Bukit Bintang (you have to specify whether it is Pavilion, BB Plaza or Berjaya Times Square). These shopping complexes are all within walking distant and you dont need cabs (Bukit Bintang - Pavilion, a now dead KL Plaza, Lot 10, opposite Lot 10 is Sungai Wang Plaza, adjacent to the Sungai Wang Plaza is the BB Plaza. At the back of Sungai Wang Plaza is Low Yat Plaza, to the left of Sungai Wang Plaza (the old dingy building) is Imbi Plaza. Across the main road opposite Imbi Plaza is Berjaya Times Square.

Fare (based on good meter)
KLCC-Pavilion = RM2+1.50 = RM3.50.
KLCC-BB Plaza = RM2.00 + RM2.00 = RM4.00 thereabout (below RM5)
KLCC-Times Square = depending on the routes RM2.00 + RM2.00 = RM4.00 thereabout (below RM5)

KLCC or Bukit Bintang area to Mid Valley Megamall. Less than RM12.

KLCC or Bukit Bintang area to 1 Utama. Close to RM20, in the range RM16-RM18. Max is RM22 one way.

KLCC or Bukit Bintang area to The Curve max is RM25 one way.

KLCC or Bukit Bintang area to Bangsar below RM11.

KLCC or Bukit Bintang area to
Hartamas Mont Kiara = RM12-RM13 (below RM15)...

Use the above fares as a guide.

Anonymous said...

For all those with an iPhone, there's this app: Kuala Lumpur Taxi Guide that comes with a fare estimator. Just enter your start and end locations and it'll calculate the fare for you based on the meter. It'll also show you the route to take, like on Google Maps.

The idea is that, if passengers know the fair taxi fare to pay, they'll less likely be cheated. Hope you guys will find it useful.

Anonymous said...

hi there ..
i was sorry to what happen to u.

i just want to say that not all taxi driver are like that only few people take make a taxi driver like that ...

as a taxi driver, u must be sad when things happen like that ..

so, iam suggest that u using a radio taxi service to prevent u from being cheated again & again.

radio taxi will record every called and will ensure the driver using a meter and u will arrive at ur destination as mention.

so, as 1 of the driver of Public Cab Radio Taxi, iam suggested that u call 03-6259 2020 for any trip u want to go with only rm2 xtra charge for taxi call.

i hope u will have a good experience with us next time.

Anonymous said...

Mi chiedo ora se si può parlare di statistiche del tuo sito - volume di ricerca, ecc, sto cercando di siti che possono acquistare attraverso adspace - fatemi sapere se si può parlare di prezzi e quant'altro. Cheers mate si sta facendo un ottimo lavoro comunque.

Anonymous said...

Awesome Informationen, vielen Dank an den Beitrag Schriftsteller. Es ist verständlich, mir jetzt, wird die Wirksamkeit und Bedeutung überwältigend. Nochmals vielen Dank und viel Glück!